The Techa river region was highly contaminated due to radioactive releases from a nuclear production facility in the period from 1949 to 1956. The inhabitants of the upper Techa river settlements received significant doses of external radiation. The majority of the houses in the upper Techa river villages were demolished after the evacuation of the population in 1956. Only three buildings (red-brick construction) in the former village of Metlino can still be used for thermoluminescence (TL) investigations in an external dose reconstruction study. The radiation source configuration changed in 1956 after all artificial reservoir was created next to Metlinsky pond. Preliminary TL studies showed good properties of the bricks that were sampled from the buildings. This paper presents an analysis of new results of TL investigations obtained on the samples collected from different walls of the buildings. The highest dose values in the range 1-4 Gy were found in bricks collected from the walls of building exposed to the artificial reservoir (Reservoir-10) and values of 1-1.5 Gy were found next to the Metlinsky pond shoreline. The measurements of the radiation source geometry were carried out simultaneously with the dose rates, radionuclide concentration in water and bottom sediments near the wall facing the old river bed. The measurements allow a validation of models used in the current Techa River Dosimetry System (TRDS-2000) to estimate external doses of the former inhabitants of the upper Techa riverside. In particular, the results can be applied for a more correct description of the source geometry in the settlement.
|Number of pages||4|
|Journal||Radiation Protection Dosimetry|
|State||Published - 1 Jan 2002|