Mode of delivery and long-term gastrointestinal-related hospitalization of the offspring

Sharon Davidesko, Alexander Alioshin, Asnat Walfisch, Tamar Wainstock, Baruch Yerushalmi, Eyal Sheiner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objective: We set out to ascertain a possible association between mode of delivery (cesarean vs. vaginal delivery) and gastrointestinal hospitalization of the offspring. Study design: A population based cohort analysis including all uncomplicated singleton deliveries occurring between the years 1991–2014 at a tertiary medical center was performed, comparing long-term gastrointestinal hospitalization of offspring, according to mode of delivery. Multiple gestations, fetuses with congenital malformations and perinatal deaths were excluded, as were cases of urgent cesarean delivery and pregnancy complications. Gastrointestinal hospitalizations (up to age 18 years) were defined using predefined ICD9 codes, as recorded in hospital records. A Kaplan Meier survival curve was constructed to compare cumulative incidence of first gastrointestinal hospitalizations. A Cox proportional hazard model was used to control for confounders. Results: During the study period 139,232 deliveries met the inclusion criteria; 13,242 (9.5%) of which were elective cesarean deliveries, and the remaining 125,990 (90.5%) were delivered vaginally. Cesarean delivery was associated with more offspring hospitalizations for gastrointestinal morbidity (p <.001). The Kaplan Meier survival curve demonstrated higher cumulative incidence of gastrointestinal hospitalizations in the cesarean delivery group (log rank test p <.001). Utilizing a Cox proportional hazards model to control for confounders, cesarean delivery was found to be an independent risk factor for long-term gastrointestinal hospitalization of the offspring (adjusted HR 1.409, 95%CI 1.306–1.521, p <.001). Specifically, inflammatory bowel disease was more common among offspring following cesarean delivery aHR 1.386 95% CI 1.215–1.582 p <.001. Conclusion: Elective cesarean delivery is an independent risk factor for long-term gastrointestinal-related hospitalization of the offspring.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)5775-5782
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine
Volume35
Issue number25
DOIs
StatePublished - 1 Jan 2022

Keywords

  • Pregnancy
  • cesarean delivery
  • inflammatory bowel disease
  • long term morbidity
  • mode of delivery
  • pediatrics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Mode of delivery and long-term gastrointestinal-related hospitalization of the offspring'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this