Modified sleeve method treatment of ingrown toenail

Naimer Sody Abby, Peleg Roni, Biton Amnon, Press Yan

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    23 Scopus citations

    Abstract

    BACKGROUND. Ingrown toenail is a common problem that causes inconvenience, pain, and limitation of daily function. Current conventional treatment methods are not satisfactory and have a high recurrence rate. OBJECTIVE. To evaluate a modification of an existing, although uncommonly used, method for treating ingrown toenail. METHODS. Patients with ingrown toenail were treated under local anesthesia by insertion of a flexible narrow plastic tube under the toenail along its lateral border. Tube fixation was performed with silk or nylon 2-0 sutures passed through the toenail. Granulomatous and inflamed tissue was removed by electrocautery or local excision. RESULTS. Twenty-eight procedures were performed in 25 patients. In 20 procedures (71.4%), no recurrences were recorded; the other 8 procedures (28.6%), were symptomatic. CONCLUSION. This method for the treatment of ingrown toenail was found to be simple and efficient, with a relatively low recurrence rate. Therefore we currently advocate this procedure as the treatment of choice.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)852-855
    Number of pages4
    JournalDermatologic Surgery
    Volume28
    Issue number9
    DOIs
    StatePublished - 1 Sep 2002

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Surgery
    • Dermatology

    Fingerprint

    Dive into the research topics of 'Modified sleeve method treatment of ingrown toenail'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this