On the CO2O2 system in the Northeastern Pacific

Sam Ben-Yaakov

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

12 Scopus citations


The TCO2, O2, TA and δ13C data of the 1969 Geosecs Intercalibration Cruise was analyzed and found to be consistent with a vertical mixing model which assumes that each point along a vertical profile is a mixture of the upper and lower boundaries. Calculated regression coefficients are in agreement with the model of Redfield et al. (1963) and with the assumption that TA variation is due to carbonate reaction. Oxygen consumption and TCO2 production decrease exponentially with depth and approximately 80% of ΔCO2 can be accounted for, on average, by O2 consumption. The remaining 20% are probably due to carbonate solution which seems to take place at depths below 2,500 m. The present study suggests that the isotopic composition (δ13C) of the carbon source, required to account for most of the oxygen consumed, may be heavier than the value of -23%. assigned to dissolved organic carbon and particulate organic carbon.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)3-26
Number of pages24
JournalMarine Chemistry
Issue number1
StatePublished - 1 Jan 1972
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oceanography
  • Chemistry (all)
  • Environmental Chemistry
  • Water Science and Technology


Dive into the research topics of 'On the CO2O2 system in the Northeastern Pacific'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this