Organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning from a home-made shampoo

Yair Sadaka, Arnon Broides, Raffi Lev Tzion, Matitiahu Lifshitz

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Scopus citations

Abstract

Organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning is a major health problem in children. We report an unusual cause of organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning. Two children were admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit due to organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning after exposure from a home-made shampoo that was used for the treatment of head lice. Owing to no obvious source of poisoning, the diagnosis of organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning in one of these patients was delayed. Both patients had an uneventful recovery. Organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning from home-made shampoo is possible. In cases where the mode of poisoning is unclear, direct questioning about the use of home-made shampoo is warranted, in these cases the skin and particularly the scalp should be rinsed thoroughly as soon as possible.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)433-434
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of Emergencies, Trauma and Shock
Volume4
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - 1 Jul 2011
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Children
  • organophosphate acetylcholine esterase
  • poisoning
  • shampoo

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Organophosphate acetylcholine esterase inhibitor poisoning from a home-made shampoo'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this