Thirty six different 3-methyl-5-aryl-2,4-pentadienoic acids and esters were synthesized using the Reformatsky and Wittig reactions. The different geometrical isomers were conveniently separated by the dry column technique. Assignment of configuration of the pentadienoic side chain was based on NMR and UV properties. The biological activities of the aromatic analogs of ABA were determined in four bioassays. Most of the analogs were less active than the natural hormone. Only 3-methyl-5-p-chlorophenyl Δ2-trans, Δ4-trans-pentadienoic acid exhibited high ABA-like activity in all four bioassays.
- 3-methyl-5-aryl-2,4-pentadienoic acids
- Abscisic acid
- acceleration of Tropaeolum leaf discs senescence
- biological activity
- germination of lettuce seed
- inhibition of transpiration.
- inhibition of wheat coleoptile elongation
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Molecular Biology
- Plant Science