Motivated by arguments based on spontaneous breaking of scale invariance, a term of the form N√-FμνFμν is introduced in the action of the gauge fields. For N < 0 this leads to linear confinement, while for N > 0, after appropriate regularization, this leads to the vanishing of the gauge fields beyond a critical length, i.e. to a different realization of confinement. A mechanism where two values of N can be connected is discussed.
- Confinement quarks and gluons
- Nonlinear field theory
- Spontaneous breaking of scale invariance
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Nuclear and High Energy Physics
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Physics and Astronomy (all)